Julie A. Schafer, Attorney at Law
Attorney JULIE A. SCHAFER provides clients with high quality legal services and representation for all family members in northeastern Ohio, primarily in Summit, Portage, Stark, Medina, Wayne and Cuyahoga Counties. My practice focuses on:
Divorce, dissolution and legal separation
Post-decree issues - such as modifying parenting plans, changing custody, and child support adjustments
Enforcement of agreements - contempt actions
Private parenting complaints for single, unmarried parents to resolve unsettled issues such as obtaining parental rights and visitation for fathers and child support and reimbursement for birthing expenses for mothers
- Representation of parents involved in dependency, neglect and abuse cases
- Motions for legal custody
- Grandparent Power of Attorney and Caretaker Authorization Affidavit (Ohio House Bill 130)
- Juvenile delinquency cases
- Representation of students at school suspension/expulsion appeal hearings
- I am a trained mediator and can help identify and resolve financial issues for parties facing divorce or dissolution, parenting issues with children to resolve homework, curfew, dating matters, etc., and mediating important issues such as neighbor to neighbor, small business to customer, etc.
- The cost to mediate a resolution to your problem is typically much less than the cost of taking the matter to court.
- Mediation is frequently required as the first course of action in disuptes between divorced parents over children's issues, either as a result of a parenting plan or the court's own procedures.
- Estate Administration
- Preparation of wills, living wills and financial powers of attorney
- Preparation of Health Care Power of Attorney
- Civil Land Sales
- Adoptions - Agency, Private and Step-parent
- Name changes
- Breach of contract
- Small claims
- Personal injury claims
BUSINESS LAW (for small businesses)
- Business formation
- Compliance with annual filing/maintenance requirements
- General legal counsel
- Contract drafting and review
EXPUNGEMENTS (in all courts)
755 White Pond Drive, Suite 403
Attorney Julie A. Schafer earned her J.D. from The University of Akron. She also obtained an MBA from The University of Akron and graduated Summa cum Laude from Hiram College, majoring in business management. Attorney Schafer is actively involved in the community, currently serving her eleventh year on the Copley-Fairlawn City Schools Board of Education. She has earned five Awards of Achievement from the Ohio School Boards Association for her participation in 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006 and 2009 and Master Board Member status in 2008. Ms. Schafer served as President of the Copley Board of Education in 2002 and 2006.
Attorney Schafer has an extensive background in business, including experience in sales and account management for a major packaging machinery manufacturer, restaurant and other small business management, and importing and U.S. Customs compliance for textile manufacturing. Attorney Schafer has owned a number of her own businesses related to garment manufacturing and costuming.
Attorney Schafer is a member of the Akron Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Ohio School Boards Association.
Ms. Schafer also serves as one of a select group of Mediators for Summit County Juvenile Court in dependency and neglect cases. Additionally, Ms. Schafer serves as a Guardian ad litem in both Domestic Relations Court and Juvenile Court cases.