Child Support Enforcement in South Dakota

Find out how to enforce your child support order and collect past-due child support in South Dakota.

By , Attorney · Brigham Young University J. Reuben Clark Law School
Considering Divorce? We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.
First Name is required
First Name is required

Some parents consistently pay their child support obligations on time, while others simply ignore their child support orders. However, the State of South Dakota takes child support obligations very seriously and provides custodial parents with many ways to enforce child support orders and collect overdue payments. This article explains how to enforce child support in South Dakota. If after reading this article you have specific questions about child support enforcement, contact a local family law attorney for assistance.

Overview of Child Support Obligations in South Dakota

When parents part ways, the parent who spends less time with his or her child (the non-custodial parent) will likely be required to pay some amount of child support. However, a divorce or separation does not automatically result in a child support obligation. There are several ways to obtain a child support order.

Sometimes, parents are able to agree on a child support amount and submit their agreement to a court for approval. If the court finds that the child support amount in the agreement is appropriate and in the child's best interests, a judge will issue a child support order based on that amount.

In cases where parents can't agree, a judge will decide how much child support the non-custodial parent must pay after a child support hearing or trial. To begin this process, a parent may hire a private attorney to file a child support action or file the necessary court paperwork on his or her own.

Alternatively, parents may seek child support through South Dakota's Division of Child Support Services (DCSS). DCSS can help parents obtain child support orders, establish paternity, locate parents and collect child support payments. You can complete an Application for Child Support Services to open a child support case with DCSS.

Either way, a judge will need to approve the child support order to make it official. The official child support order will state the amount of support to be paid by the non-custodial parent every month. The non-custodial parent must pay the amount listed in the order until it's changed or the child reaches 18 and graduates from high school (unless other requirements are included in the order). For more information on how child support is calculated, read Child Support in South Dakota.

Child Support Enforcement in South Dakota

A late payment, partial payment and no payment are all violations of a child support order. Parents who disobey child support orders don't just get off scot-free. Parents that remain delinquent on their child support payments may face serious penalties, up to and including jail time. The more back child support owed, the more severe the consequences will likely be. Below are a few of the most common ways for custodial parents to enforce child support orders and collect payments.

File a contempt action in court

A custodial parent who is not receiving court-ordered child support may file a child support enforcement action, also called an Order to Show Cause, with or without the help of an attorney. A private attorney can file the necessary paperwork and argue on your behalf in court, but you can also represent yourself, if you can't afford an attorney.

If you decide to bring an Order to Show Cause on your own, you will be required to file the correct legal paperwork and represent yourself at the court hearing. Child support forms are generally available at your local courthouse or through your local court website. See the following article on What is a Show Cause Hearing for information on how to prepare for an enforcement hearing.

Request assistance from DCSS

DCSS has several tools available to enforce child support orders and collect support payments. Although there is typically a small fee to open a child support case with DCSS, some parents may qualify for a fee waiver. Either automatically or upon request, DCSS may file a child support enforcement action with the court on your behalf.

What Happens When a Parent Won't Pay Child Support?

South Dakota's DCSS and family court judges take child support orders very seriously and will impose penalties and seize a non-paying parent's assets to help collect overdue child support. Some of the tools used to enforce child support orders are as follows:

  • automatically deducting child support from a non-custodial parent's paycheck
  • automatically deducting child support from a non-custodial parent's unemployment benefits, Veteran's Disability benefits, Social Security benefits or Worker's Compensation Funds
  • seizing bank accounts, stocks or investment funds
  • seizing personal injury settlements in excess of $3,000
  • seizing federal or state tax refunds
  • revoking or restricting driver's licenses, and professional, business or recreational licenses if a non-custodial parent owes at least $1,000 in overdue support and hasn't paid support in 3 months
  • revoking or restricting a passport if a non-custodial parent owes at least $2,500 in support
  • intercepting federal and state tax refunds
  • reporting child support debt to credit agencies, which results in a negative credit report, and
  • applying liens against a non-custodial parent's home or personal property.

If a judge decides that the noncustodial parent violated the existing child support order, that parent can be found in "contempt of court." South Dakota laws make a parent's intentional refusal to financially support his or her child a misdemeanor, and a felony if the parent leaves the state.

A non-custodial parent found in contempt for non-payment of child support may face fines or be sentenced to up to 6 months in jail in the most extreme circumstances. Contempt is a harsh punishment used only in the most egregious cases of non-payment of child support.


If you have additional questions about how to enforce a child support order in South Dakota, contact an experienced family law attorney for help.

To find out more about enforcing child support orders, read the relevant child support statute contained in the South Dakota Codified Laws, Title 25, Chapter 7A-1, et seq.

Considering Divorce?
Talk to a Divorce attorney.
We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.
There was a problem with the submission. Please refresh the page and try again
Full Name is required
Email is required
Please enter a valid Email
Phone Number is required
Please enter a valid Phone Number
Zip Code is required
Please add a valid Zip Code
Please enter a valid Case Description
Description is required

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you