How Do I File for Divorce in Oregon?

Learn about the forms and procedures required to file for divorce in Oregon.

It's normal to have many questions when you're facing divorce. Fortunately, divorce in Oregon is a relatively straightforward procedure. Known as "dissolution of marriage," the Oregon divorce process allows you to file on your own or jointly with your spouse, as "co-petitioners."

The state also recognizes domestic partnerships, which follow the same dissolution procedures as traditional marriages. (OR Rev Stat § 106.310 (2017).) This article provides an overview of all the information you need to start your case.

Oregon Residency Requirement and Reasons for Divorce

Oregon is a purely no-fault divorce state, meaning there is no option to file a fault-based complaint. Many people prefer the no-fault method of divorce, as it allows the parties to end their marriage without raising potentially embarrassing facts or allegations.

Rather than bring up any accusations of wrongdoing, the filing spouse states that the parties have "irreconcilable differences," which basically means the couples doesn't get along and there is no possibility of reconciling. (OR Rev Stat § 107.025 (2017).) In Oregon, you don't need the other person to agree that the marriage is beyond saving. The court will dissolve your marriage or domestic partnership regardless of whether the other spouse consents to the divorce.

To file for divorce in Oregon, you must also meet the state's residency requirements. Under state law, at least one party must have lived in Oregon for six months or longer. You can also obtain an Oregon divorce if you were married in the state, and at least one spouse currently resides there.

If you were married in Oregon, it doesn't matter how long you have lived there as long as you currently make your home within the state. The petitioning spouse must also file a certificate of residency with the court, stating that at least one party resides presently in the filing county. (OR Rev Stat § 107.075 (2017).)

Preparing Your Forms

Oregon's domestic relations law provides two types of dissolution, summary dissolution (uncontested divorce) and complex dissolution (contested.) The type you choose depends on the issues surrounding your case and their level of complexity. You can check the Divorce, Separation, and Annulment section of the Oregon Judicial Branch Website for more detailed information about the types of divorce offered in Oregon and specific forms you may need to prepare your case.

Summary Dissolution

If your marriage or domestic partnership contains limited issues, you can file for a summary divorce. This type of dissolution allows you to end your marriage or domestic partnership without the cost and delay of a court hearing.

Your case must meet the following requirements to qualify for summary dissolution:

  • you have been married for 10 years or less
  • neither spouse is pregnant
  • you and your spouse have no minor children and no adult children currently enrolled in high school
  • you and your spouse own no real property or any interest in real estate, including land and buildings
  • your personal property, both individually and jointly-owned, is worth less than $30,000 after deducting any money owed (for example, a vehicle loan)
  • your individual and joint debts total no more than $15,000
  • you give up all rights to spousal support
  • you give up all rights to temporary orders, and
  • you have no other divorce actions pending in any other state. (OR Rev Stat § 107.485 (2017).)

If you qualify for a summary dissolution, you must file the following forms:

  • Instructions
  • Petition for Summary Dissolution
  • Summons
  • Proposed Judgment or Order
  • Acceptance of Service (if spouse waives service)
  • Declaration of Service, and
  • Record of Dissolution of Marriage, Annulment, or Registered Domestic Partnership.

Dissolution of Marriage

If your case doesn't meet the requirements for summary dissolution, you must file for a full-blown dissolution.

Oregon law requires the following forms for couples who do not have children:

  • Instructions
  • Petition
  • Petitioner's Affidavit Supporting Judgment of Dissolution
  • Confidential Information Form
  • General Judgment of Dissolution and Money Award
  • Summons: Domestic Relations Suit
  • Acknowledgment
  • Affidavit of Service
  • Acceptance of Service, and
  • Record of Dissolution of Marriage, Annulment, or Registered Domestic Partnership.

If you and your spouse or domestic partner have biological or adopted minor children together, you must file the following forms in addition to the standard dissolution forms:

  • Supplement to Petition
  • Certificate re: Pending Child support Proceedings and Existing Child Support Orders/Judgments
  • Petitioner's Certificate of Mailing to DCS (Division of Child Support)
  • Record of Dissolution of Marriage, Annulment, or Registered Domestic Partnership

Filing Your Forms

Once you have gathered all the necessary paperwork, you must file it in the appropriate county, meaning where you currently live or where your spouse resides. (OR Rev Stat § 107.086 (2017).)

Serving Your Forms

Unless you and your spouse file as co-petitioners, you must "serve" your spouse with copies of the divorce petition and all other documents filed with the court. Oregon allows the non-filing spouse to waive the "service of process" requirement by signing an Acceptance of Service form. As its name suggests, this form states that the spouse received the documents. The filing spouse is responsible for submitting the signed acceptance with the court.

If your ex refuses to sign the acceptance form, you can achieve service by hiring a private process server or paying a fee for the sheriff to deliver the papers in person. In cases where a spouse is difficult to locate, the court may allow parties to publish a notice in the newspaper to inform the other spouse about the divorce. This is called service by publication, and is only available when the respondent's whereabouts are unknown.

Financial Disclosures

Both sides in an Oregon divorce are required to make a complete disclosure of all their assets and debts. Failure to cooperate with state disclosure rules can cause the court to assess fines. The court might also require the non-complying party to pay the other side's attorney's fees.

If you have specific questions, you should contact a local family law attorney for advice.

Disability Eligibility Quiz Take our divorce quiz for help deciding how best to proceed with your case.